Monday 4 February 2013

Mexican couple for Bed and Breakfast


How can this be, no Snicker bar? As an American, I never thought I would utter those words. A sunny Saturday afternoon after closing the store my son comes cruising through the front door with Snicker in hand. "That looks really good, run back to the store and get one for me" and he says "there are no more".
In my life Snickers have been solace to gloomy days or just a pick-me-up in late afternoons after design sessions lasting too many hours. Today was an internet day sporadically working in the store and playing online. It just looked yummy! I stopped and laughed. Whoever heard of not having stock on a Snicker.
Small pleasures and taking things for granted...constant themes living in this tiny High Desert town in Mexico. Oreos can suffer this same dilemma, I know because my daughter loves them and I hear her whine when they are not gettable. Hot dogs are another one. I have only found all beef hot dogs one hour away at Costco. Everywhere else it is a nasty mushy mix of beef and turkey by-products. Unacceptable to our American palettes so we just do without.
I received an inquiry last week from an American asking if he could get all of his needs met within a block because he has spent his life going to the 7Eleven, and he was not willing to give that up. Of course I could not even respond. What would I say! Statements like that make me wonder how we are still a semblance of a society....maybe it is all a charade.
We have a lovely Mexican couple staying with us this weekend in our B&B and they arrived with goodies in hand requesting the use of our frig....tupperware of sliced ham and various other snacks. I am sure to them ham is like a hot dog or a snicker to an American. It turns out a previous guest who had referred them for our Bed and Breakfast Guanajuato, told them to bring their own ham because we did not serve it! So funny. Mexicans LOVE sliced ham.
As a family we have learned to be grateful and do without. At least once or twice a month the electricity goes out for 12 hours which means no water either. The first time this happened I thought I would lose it....on every bout after that, I adjusted. We go into bootcamp mode now when the thunder starts to roll, fill the water purifiers at every sink, wash all the dishes, shower if you stink and get ready for no water. We once went three days when the town pump broke. It's all good! Life is so much more than the what you expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment